The Flax Growers Tale

A writer's discovery of family and self

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Smelly but tastes good

I could not complete this research without finding out what types of food might have been cooked and eaten by John May and his family and friends.

I believe my ancestor to have been of a fairly modest income and after researching I found that meant a smaller cabin with modest furnishings.

The food prepared in these smaller cabins was very simple as the size of the home prevented the cooking from being very complicated.

One recipe that caught my eye was the Potato, Cabbage soup with Ham.

The main ingredient potato was first grown in Wicklow Ireland. It was Oats and not potatoes that were the main crop but made a good back up for the difficult Oat years.

In the 1770s the " Irish Apple" became popular for its floury taste.

The health benefits of the dish really make up for the smell plus it's DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

The Cabbage is richer in vitamin C than oranges and is rich in fiber and iodine.
The potatoes are high in Potassium, Also a compound that has been shown to lower blood pressure.
Potatoes are also high in vitamin C and Fiber.

I chose this Saturday to make this dish. I gathered the ingredients and put them on the stove and I was instantly thrown back to the time of my ancestors.

As my family and I enjoy the wonder soup I think of John May and wonder if he enjoyed this popular Irish meal. Perhaps he would of enjoyed a loaf of Barmbrack bread with the meal and probably enjoyed a cup of tea while finishing off with Lemon and Vanilla curd cake for dessert.
I wonder if the stories he shared at his dinner table even vaguely resembled the stories at mine.


Irish soup of Cabbage and Potatoes with Ham

1 Large Head of Green Cabbage cut into wedges.
1 large onion sliced in large chunk size pieces.
1 stick salted butter (Only use real butter)
5 or 6 Yellow Yukon or Red potatoes depending on your taste.
Kosher salt to taste
Cracked Black Pepper
2 Cups chopped ham or thick bacon
Start with washing the cabbage and potatoes.
Then peel potatoes and cut into bite size chunks.
Peel the outer leaves of the cabbage and cut into wedges.
Place the potato wedges and cabbage in large pot and cover with water.
Add onion and butter and cook for about 2 hours.
You can cook your ham or bacon with the cabbage and potatoes or on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment