The Flax Growers Tale

A writer's discovery of family and self

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Irish music for the masses

While my son was home on leave he introduced me to a band he had seen while in Los Angeles. The name... Drop Kick Murphy's. I instantly loved their sound and have been exploring more Irish music. My son loves all things Irish and will tell anyone that will listen. Recently while on a humanitarian event in Thailand he visited an Irish pub along one of the beaches there. He said the guys that ran it were from Belfast and they spent the evening telling him stories of their youth. When he told them his mother was a writer and that his Irish lineage traces back to county down, well you can guess the next guiness was on them.

I cannot help but wonder what my ancestor John May would think of the Drop Kick Murphy's, Flogging Molly and other great bands that perform great Irish or Irish like music. To this unseasoned music lover the bagpipes make my eyes water.

This post is for you John May I hope you enjoy this and have peace knowing that the people that came after you are learning how you lived, what you loved and what made you happy in your short, difficult life. I hope you enjoyed music and took some measure of joy from it.


Slainte Sa lan che (Cheers)

No comments:

Post a Comment