The Flax Growers Tale

A writer's discovery of family and self

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The seed is where the life begins

My husband and I recently experienced the birth of our first grandchild.
The event has been one of the most amazing things in the world.
I began to think about the people that came before her.
The seed that grew to be the person we now know.
Both parents have Irish lineage plus other ethnicities.
I took a small break after our son's baby was born.
I helped out in the way that grandmothers generations before me have done.
The little things a Grandmother can do to ease the panic that takes place with young people
and babies.
So now that the little seed is older and sleeping better Mommy is finding her way and needs the
Grandmother less and life begins.
So I am back at the helm and diving into my research for this book.
I have also been trying to wrap my mind around the process of the Flax Growing that produced the
beautiful linen and damask.
As I research this subject I have found that the whole thing was a grueling, back breaking
process in which the entire family had to be involved in some way.
I would imagine that this made the family close in some ways as I'm sure they worked close and
for long periods.
The flax seeds themselves were strange looking but oh so valuable to the Flax Farmer.
The beautiful results begin in such rudeamentary origins yet their yield is useful and beautiful

2 comments:

  1. Hi-- saw your link on She Writes-- I blog on WordPress-- http://loquaciouslyyours.com.

    Your blog is very very nice!~ You should be proud. For some reason you get a content warning when you try to access the post-- from the word "seed"? best-- Jenne'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know, I am still very much a novice with this blog world. I shall look into it.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete